In 1920, Eng. Arthur Ade founded the ADE-Werk in Waltershausen, which produced agricultural machinery. together
With the establishment of the GDR, the plant was nationalized and became part of the IFA union and took the name VEB Fahrzeugwerk Waltershausen. In the mid-1950s, the production of the Diesel-Ameise DK 3 transport trolley began here, and in 1956 the Dieselkarre DK 2004 (DK 4) entered production, which from December 1959 was called Multicar 21.
the factory had a Multicar 22. Between 1964 and 1974, 42,500 units of these light commercial vehicles were produced. Compared to its predecessors, the 25 model offered much better working conditions for the driver. It had a closed single cabin located on the right side of the engine. To reduce production costs, the headlights were adapted from the Trabant 601 car, and the steering wheel from the Wartburg 311. Multicars 22 were imported to Poland mainly in the self-dumping version, equipped with a box with raised sides. These cars were used to transport fuel. Their small dimensions allowed them to pass through narrow gates efficiently. Municipal and technical services, on the other hand, used varieties equipped with open load boxes and mechanical ladders. The Multicar 22 presented at the Museum of Military Technology „Gryf” is a very interesting example, because it comes from the initial production period. Both the load box and the rear part of the chassis refer to the older model 21. In later copies, the load box had a different structure,
and the underbody guards were also abandoned. The non-opening windows in the cabin doors are also characteristic of the first series of Multicars 22.
Curb weight: 1,320 kg
Permissible Gross Weight: 3,220 kg
Maximum speed: 25 km/h
Drive: diesel engine, 4-stroke, 2-cylinder, air-cooled
Power: 15 hp (at 3,000 rpm)
Gearbox: 4+1 (synchronized)