Soviet heavy motorcycle M-72. Its design is based on a modified design of the German, very modern at the time BMW motorcycle R71. His documentation submitted in support of technological industry of the USSR in exchange for raw materials sent to III Reich.
This cooperation was a result of the Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact in 1939. Installation of M-72 motorcycles with parts supplied by many suppliers began in the summer of 1941 at the Moscow Institute of Bike, but until evacuation of the factory there was established few copies.
Re-production (first part imported from Moscow) started in Irbit since the winter of 1942. In total, in the years 1941-1961 in a number of factories (Moscow, Irbit, Gorki, Kiev) produced more than 400,000 copies of the M-72 and introduced many modifications. Motorcycle widely used in the Polish Peoples Army, initially mainly in the diagnosis, then auxiliary tasks: courier, liaison and training, and by the Citizens Militia.
Specifications M-72 version with a sidecar (solo version in brackets):
Length / width / height: 2.42 / 1.65 (0.82) / 0.98 m
Curb weight: 380 kg (approx. 200 kg)
Load capacity: 300 kg
Drive: carburettor engine (four-stroke, bottom valve), two-cylinder, boxer with a capacity of 746 cm3 and a power of 22 hp with the transfer of power to the rear wheel, Cardan shaft
Maximum speed: 85-90 km / h (110-120 km / h)
Range: up to 460 km (maximum 360 km))
Fuel tank: 22 l canister, and an additional 20 liters (22 l tank only)
Combustion: approx. 8.5 l / 100 km (6-7 l / 100 km)